Application | Alumni | Shop | Publications | FAQ
In 1754 the Empress Maria Theresa founded the Oriental Academy to train young men for the diplomatic service of the Habsburg monarchy. Out of the Oriental Academy evolved first the Consular Academy and in 1964 the Diplomatic Academy. In 1996 the Diplomatische Akademie Wien - Vienna School of International Studies was granted the status of an independent public training institution. The Academy is thus one of the oldest professional schools in international relations worldwide.
Download the 2008 publication "A Short History of the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna" by the DA's former director, Ambassador Heinrich Pfusterschmid-Hardtenstein, by clicking on the cover above.